Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Dustland Fairytale

The sound of  XXXX cans dropping to the ground. Loud and intermittent conversation drowning out the live band in the background. People, from all walks of life, brought together with the sole purpose of partying in the desert. And then there was that one very unique song blaring from the speakers -  I had to stop and take it all in. With that, came the realisation that here I was in the middle of nowhere, dancing in the dust in the Australian Outback...


                                                                                                                      Credit: Sabrina Gewargis



The Australian Outback is famous for many things. The desert - with its dusty waves of red sand, which stretch as far as the eye can see. Remote cattle stations, complete with burly jackaroos, cowboys and billabongs. Uluru and The Royal Flying Doctor Service. Intricate Aboriginal artworks adorn the walls of ensconced rocks and caves. Deserted roads, where the only travel companion for miles are the swarm of pesky flies who have come along for the ride. If you're lucky on your journey, you'll even get to see kangaroos, dingoes and crocs, oh my!

The only way to see the Outback                 Credit: Adrian Marchant


Credit: Sabrina Gewargis


Credit: Sabrina Gewargis

But for me, the journey was all about Birdsville, Queensland. Population 115*


Birdsville, located on the border of Queensland and South Australia, is a small town in south-west
Queensland. Situated on the edge of the Simpson Desert, Birdsville is the starting point of the famous Birdsville Track. Originally a link to the outside world for the residents of the remote cattle stations, the Birdsville track is now known for the many adventurous thrill seekers keen on taking their 4wds out on the dusty track, passing old deserted homesteads, salt lakes and rivers on their journey.

If you're wondering why anyone would travel to such a remote destination, the answer is why not? Apart from having the Simpson Desert for a backdrop, Birdsville is home to Australia's most famous horse race - The Birdsville Cup. The Birdsville Races are held annually on the first Saturday in September to help raise funds for the Royal Flying Doctors Service. And it's also an excuse for a week long piss up.**

So that was settled. I was on my way to attend the Birdsville Races. But the most important question was how the hell was I going to get there? It's not like driving a few hours up the coast. This was some serious traveling mileage. According to Google Maps, my journey would take approximately 28 hours, dependent upon which of the suggested routes I take.




It looks like Mitchell Hwy is the way to go. Well, at least it is a shorter trip!



This route goes through Dubbo and Charleville        Source: Google Maps

Lucky for me, Greyhound Australia had packages from Brisbane to Birdsville, that departed early in the morning. So now, my only dilemma was how the hell was I going to get to Brisbane without missing my bus?

A nights accommodation and return flights to and from Brisbane were booked and my friend, Diana in tow, it was only a matter of time before we were set to embark on a trip of a lifetime. With my Greyhound itinerary in hand, I quickly compiled the list of items needed for my trip. The great thing about the Greyhound tour was that meals and accommodation were supplied in Birdsville, leaving more money in my pocket for other important things - drinking and souvenir shopping. The other great thing about booking with Greyhound was that all I had to do was show up at the depot and they would take care of all the driving! This allowed me to travel through towns I had never even heard of, let alone dreamed that I would ever visit.







The trek would take me through the sleepy towns of Windorah and Quilpie, through to the deserted town of Betoota, population 0 or 1, depending on who you ask.









Diana and I boarded our early morning flight at Sydney airport. We were 'lucky' enough to get an exit seat, but when the flight attendant started rambling on and on about what we had to do in an emergency, my mind started to wander. I don't want to die this way. I can't be on this flight. I don't care about going to Birdsville. There has to be another way! My palms started to sweat and I started to tense up.
Safely on the ground My smile hides my fear of flying...yikes!      Credit: Sabrina Gewargis

By this stage, she had finished her demonstration and we were ready for take off. The engines turned on and the mighty roar sent shivers up my spine. We started to move and the plane began to accelerate faster and faster, until the front of the plane started to lift up off the ground. Slow and steady breaths, Sabrina. We were on our way....


TO BE CONTINUED



* This is the most accurate number at the time of going to press
** Australian slang for a heavy drinking session

No comments:

Post a Comment