Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Bucket List

I'm not a very organised person. If you could see my room right now*,  you would probably think somebody has broken in and trashed the place. I kid you not. My room is a disaster zone. I like to call it Ground Zero.** I would have to be the messiest person I know. Just look at my car.


(It's clean at the moment, but I dread the
moment it returns to its former state). You could probably bury someone in my room and nobody would ever find them. You wouldn't even have to worry about the smell, because every 36 minutes or so, my little Airwick spray lets out a whiff of something called Summer Splash.
I don't even let my pets in my room anymore. I actually think they would die in a landslide, caused by my ever expanding wardrobe and my vast collection of DVDs. The mirror in my room is so dirty, that when I look at my reflection, something that looks a lot like a cave dweller, stares back at me!
Nevertheless, even the most disorganised person has to have a list. A grocery list, perhaps? A list of bills to pay? A to-do list?*** Well, I have a list. It comprises of things I would like to do before it's too late. Before life gets too complicated and I lack the time and desire to complete it. Before I need to be lifted out of my house with a crane. Not because I'm too fat. Oh no! Because I've been buried in the landslide!

So, just like every girl I know, I've complied a list of things I would like to do before I die. I would like to share five things from my list. Remember people, I am a go-getter. I go and I get. I vow to complete everything on this list before I cross through those pearly gates. 


Swim with whales
Ever since I was a little girl, I've always been fascinated by two things: water and whales. Vancouver didn't have a lot of beaches, but whenever I was around a lake or a river, I felt the need to jump right in. It was about this time that I had discovered my love of whales. I can't tell you why I love them so much, but there is something tranquil and harmonious about them.I always have recurring dreams, where I am swimming with them and it's delightful. I'm never scared and when I put my head on my pillow at night, I pray that I get to swim with them once again.

I am absolutely disgusted that to this day, they are still being brutally hunted by countries such as Japan and Norway. So, not only will I one day swim with them, I would also like to advocate for the preservation of whales and help put an end to the cruel act of whaling, worldwide.

I read a story this morning about an Australian teenager photographed climbing on top of a whale, just off the coast of Western Australia. There is talk of fining the teenager, as they believe it to be an act of harassment against wildlife. But what if this kid shares the same feelings about whales as I do? Looks like this kid can scratch riding a whale off their bucket list!

Write a book

If I were to ever write a book, would you read it? Where would I begin? Shall we begin like David Copperfield?
"I am born...I grew up."****
It would be titled, The Trials and Tribulations of Sabrina.

OK, maybe I need to think of a better title, but it would most certainly be autobiographical. Who doesn't want to read all the juicy tales of someone else's life? And you would ALL get a mention. Yes, you. Of course, I will give you a pseudonym. Everybody has a story. What's yours?


 Travel around the world

I have had the pleasure of growing up in two of the world's best countries: Canada and Australia. I'm lucky because I get to root for two countries during the Olympics (Australia during Summer; Canada during Winter).



As much as I love these two great nations, I can not deny that they lack something that is very important to me: history. Yes, I'm quite aware that they have history, dating back to when they were first colonised, but they don't have buildings, landmarks and historic sites that have withstood countless wars, famines and natural disasters.

I would like to embark on a global journey which will take me from one end of the globe to the other. I want to experience a sunrise in Rio de Janeiro. Go trekking in the Himalayas.  Pray at St Peter's Basilica. I want to fill hundreds of albums with photographs of my travels to Europe, Africa and South America.

And I won't be alone...there is nothing more romantic than standing at the top of the world, with the one that you love.




Make a difference in someone's life...without them even knowing it


Credit: smingr
Think Oprah, but without the flashy lights and
screaming ladies. I want to be in a place, both financially and emotionally, where I can make a real difference in someone's life, without them ever knowing that I exist. The only stipulation is that they have to one day do the same for another.

The world would be a better place if people actually followed through on their promises. I hope I will be one of the ones who follow through...





Run a marathon 



If you know me, you'll know that I have absolutely zero running ability. This is where my previous PE teachers failed me. I just can't do it.  I don't know how to run, unless it involves me running towards something I want.

When I was in junior high, a few of my friends and I stole 1st, 2nd and 3rd place ribbons and proceeded to award ourselves the honours that came with placing so highly in the Track and Field meet.

Truthfully, the only time I ever run, is to get to the front of the mosh pit at a concert. I'll never forget my friends shock at how quickly I made my way into the arena to see Bon Jovi perform.

I will give up smoking. I will slowly teach myself how to run. And I will complete a marathon. Even if it has to be the kid version before the actual race. Remember the tale of the Tortoise and the Hare? I am definitely the tortoise.


My list is not finished. It grows everyday. Some things are easier done than others. But take comfort in this - I will make an effort to complete every single thing on my list. Life is too short to wish for things. You need to grab it by its balls and take as much as you can get...It might all be gone tomorrow.



* My room has since been cleaned. It only took over nine hours
** No disrespect is meant to anyone who lost someone at Ground Zero
*** Matthew Fox is currently at the top of mine
****  From the opening scene of Interview with a Vampire






No comments:

Post a Comment